As I said before I was able to finally build dbmail with freebsd. I then followed all the instructions in the INSTALL file and but despite following them to the letter I was not able to get postfix deliver mail to dbmail-smtp until I added my domain to the postfix config file. That seems odd to me because I figured the transport setting would take care of that. After adding my domain postfix accepted the mail but could not launch the /usr/local/sbin/dbmail-smptp file till I changed the ownership of that file to the dbmail user (The install script should be modified to do that).

Now postfix accepts the email and seems to hand it off to the dbmail-smtp program just fine but according to the maillog dbmail complains that it can't find the config file. Here is the relavant entry in the maillog.

Dec 14 22:28:35 ns postfix/qmgr[12628]: F162089A: from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, size=906, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Dec 14 22:28:35 ns dbmail/smtp[12839]: ReadConfig(): starting procedure
Dec 14 22:28:35 ns dbmail/smtp[12839]: ReadConfig(): could not open config file [dbmail.conf]

I tried putting the dbmail.com in both the /etc and the /usr/local/etc directory. Here are the permissions on the file

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1963 Dec 13 23:37 /etc/dbmail.conf

So where does this file belong?