Hi all,

on of our dbmail-using customers runs a postgresql database containing about 10GB of data; there are ~23000 accounts, 5000 of them are being accessed regularly. The database is not growing (only POP is run), about 20000 messages are delivered each day.

The problem is that postgresql keeps on eating disk space - after a recent crash (due to running a VACUUM FULL on a near-full disk) a backup was restored and the database was shrunk from 65GB to 10GB. Since then, postgresql has resumed it's eating functionality, the size occupied on disk is now some 46 GB while the database had not grown.

I would like to ask the postgresql experts on this list some advice: how to reclaim disk space? For now, each night a VACUUM ANALYZE runs on the database. Any chance i can see where exactly postgresql is growing? Would re-building the indices help?

regards roel