Hi,
As stated earlier in some communication on this list.
The SMTP server only accepts SMTP connections for local delivery!

You could/should instead configure the DBMAIL server to listen to another port than 25. You could then run sendmail/postfix on the same host and instead of sending mail for local delivery to procmail, you forward it to localhost:DBmail-listening-port. We are talking about small installations here with limited mail traffic. Larger traffic volumes require another partitioning of the hosts?

/Magnus

Curtis Maurand wrote:
this is interesting, but you might talk to some other folks that already
have projects out there.  The first ones that comes to mind would be zmailer
or exim.  zmailer is smtp only and supposed to be very fast.  I'm not sure
you  should be trying to reinvent the wheel.

However, any smtp implementation would still need to talk to rbl's,
spamassassin or other spam plugin and anti-virus.  There should also be ways
to block incoming (such as the sendmail access file).  Of course sendmail's
access file has its limitations.  You would think that with paid programmers
working on it, that it could read 192.168.0/26 and expand that as its
reading the hash table into memory.  I digress.

Just a couple of thoughts on the subject.  I was also thinking about trying
to adapt XMail's smtp to use dbmail at the backend.  XMail has a very
flexible authentication machanism but it wan't to be a pop server too. :-(

Eelco van Beek said:

Hi all,

I was thinking about building a dedicated smtp server for dbmail. This
will not be a full smtp server implementation (no relaying and stuff
like that) but pureley an smtp reception daemon. This has the following
advantages:

•       much higher mail reception throughput
•       direct bounces if needed
•       direct checks against aliases table
•       no depedencies of other smtp's

It will coexist next to an LMTP implementation. They both will service
different needs.

We've tested a very very very minimal version of an smtp server. It was
able to process about 70 mailmessages per second. That about 10 times
as many as the current situation can handle.

Furthermore, Roel and i were brainstorming about speeding up the imap
server. Our goal is to make it 5 - 10 times faster as it is now. Also
we want to implement shared folders. For both changes we'll need to
make changes to the database layout. We have some plans about this that
we'll reveal soon.

Best regards,

Eelco

E.J.A. van Beek