> Also on deletions - it would be great to have a 'deleted timestamp'
> (forgive me if this is in the upcoming 2.0 release, I haven't
> checked the code). That way you can purge messages from the database
> once they've been *marked as deleted* for more than <user
> configurable> days. A grace-period if you will where helpdesks can
> 'save the day' for unsavvy users.

Um, this is already possible.

On our sites, we run the dbmail-maint program each morning, deleting
messages that the system has tagged as deleted (status 003), then
marking user-deleted messages (status 002) as system deleted. This
gives at least 24 hours for a customer to decide that they need to
have a message undeleted.

On a client's site, that task is only run on the first of the month,
giving 28+ days. Putting it on a weekly cron job would do the same,
with a 7 day minimum grace period.

Implementing a by-timestamp would be simple enough, though. Just add a
timestamp field to the table. The last user-induced change would be
the deleting the message. You could then run a query to make changes
based upon status=002 and timestamp older than X days to change the
status to 003, then let the normal maintenance program take over at
that point for the final deletion.

--
Jeff Brenton
President,

Liberalism grants you the freedom to advocate any idea*.
 * Please see http://www.dididahdahdidit.com/except.php for a
   current list of exceptions