On Thursday 06 November 2003 3:04 am, Chris Carter wrote:

Hi Chris,

I have been using dbmail for only some months, I'm no dbase guru either,
Here are my experiences so far which of course will vary with other users:

> 1. What are the differences between 1.x versions and the new 2.0 alpha1?

I do not know, I only uses the stable branch

> 2. I finally twigged that DBMail does not have an MTA of its own but
> uses external programs (eg: Postfix). True?

Yes, I'm using postfix. Integration is very easy though. Its all in the DOCS

> 3. How does DBMail's IMAP support compare to other packages? Does
> M$Lookout work? Can I use Ximian Evolution? Or Kmail? I presume that POP
> works just fine (but I am interested in IMAP).

Im using the IMAP as well, email clients includes, outlook, outlook express,
evolution and kmail

> 4. Webmail support? Can I use things like Horde/IMP? How does IMAP
> perform in this situation?

I uses squirrelmail which works ok with the imap of dbmail

> 5. Where does one configure the TCP ports (is it in the database?).

in the configuration file of dbmail

> 6. Is there any documentation?

Yes, but its not that complete, but it good enough that you can compile,
install and run dbmail on your environment

> 7. Has anyone experienced something really awful with DBMail? (be honest
> now :)

I only experienced Mysql database corruption, that's it...which of course is
sometimes unavoidable when you uses a database for storing data. Its easily
can be fixed too.

> 8. Is it secure to attacks? DoS, etc.?

No experience with that. But I think there are patches which fixes some issues
about dos attacks.

regards,
Kenneth Oncinian