Chris Nolan wrote:

And SMTP AUTH with users in dbmail only, will work if you use pam-mysql. Of course if 2.0 will do ldap that will work even better performance wise.

Admittedly, I want to get as far away from SASL as I can. I've used
Cyrus stuff before and although it's quite good, the lack of
documentation is quite a concern. For this reason, I'm considering
moving to qmail (and using it's checkpasswd interface)

Situation has somewhat improved in sasl2, but I agree: it too cyrus-centric in
it's documentation.

All tutorials and howtos I've read on the subject of using Postfix with
an SQL database have had usernames and email addresses the same. Finding
an example where this isn't the case is proving slightly difficult.
Uhm:

dbmail-adduser a lisad '{crypt}cryptedpass'  0 0 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

should do the trick just fine. It's simply a convention some people like to use the full email addres as userid in dbmail. Its usefull for ISPs hosting virtual emaildomains. The userid field is not used for delivery to dbmail through the transport table.

Basically, the actual setup at the moment is:

* Every user is a normal UNIX user
* All passwords are stored in /etc/shadow
* All mail stores are boring old mbox spools
* All aliases are in the virtual postfix table
* SMTP auth is done with SASL and pwcheck
* Due to some users, we also have POP-before-SMTP setup

We want to change everything so that:

* No user has a UNIX account
* All authentication happens against the DBMail database
so you will need pam-mysql for SASL/SMTP-AUTH.

* All usernames and passwords are the same as they are now (not too hard
to migrate the information)
* Bounces are still handled by the MTA
That's tricky: postfix-mysql can do this if you define your virtual table as a mysql table. There have been several threads describing such solutions over the last couple of weeks. Exim4 can do this as well. Dunno about qmail. You will need an interface to mysql from your MTA, or create scripts to dump the necessary
information in a flat-file that your MTA can handle.

But you're right: don't use dbmail's bounce feature just yet.

 Paul Stevens                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 NET FACILITIES GROUP                     GPG/PGP: 1024D/11F8CD31