I browsed through the mailing list archives - many of the questions I have are somewhat addressed in older posts; so, given the code has since been developed further, I'd like to ask a few here - so I'll apologize ahead of time if I repeat a FAQ that I've not seen.

I'm designing an email infrastructure for a new tech VISP. The system needs to be designed to support a few thousand users at first, but quickly be expandable to support 100's of thousands of users (and possibly more), with multiple domains. Eventually we'll want to support webmail and per-user configuration of different services.

Our goal is to exploit commodity hardware, without suffering performance - I believe we can achieve this, as Google has in their own way.

I've spent a large amount of time researching this on the net. Eventually, I ran into several design issues when trying to address this large-scale design through a standard filesystem implementation, where the mailstore is on a private network backend, mounted via NFS. Our shop is FreeBSD-based, and the MTA we've selected is Postfix.

Here's a list of concerns I've got, there are others (related to this):

o Mbox or Maildir? - each has advantages and disadvantages - a DB may resolve that issue altogether

o PostgreSQL or MySQL?  Each has its merits.

o IMAP sort and indexing - the load this would create on the system - this is a major concern; could this be distributed amoungst different databases to load-balance?

o Distributing the accounts evenly across the backend server(s) and which filesystem to use

o DBmail supports multiple databases - we need some load balancing with reasonable tcp/ip cutoff points
  to avoid any downspiral performance issues - no single point of failure.

o Quotas - how granular is DBMail's quota - we'd like to offer x GB of space per user, and aggregate that amoungst an offering of 8 mailboxes per "master account" - the logical approach to this?

o Capacity monitoring

o Deliver to the DB immediately or to a temp mbox file, then to the db upon login? Concerned about the load on the database server(s)

Are there any Enterprise-scale implementations of DBMail at this time? I'd be interested in any implementation notes/problems encountered.

Any input/feedback would be appreciated - particularly direct experience with this scenario.

Thanks,
Forrest