Hi David:
Look for this:
"Marked Delete = YES"

This is pretty much fundamental to the way DBMail works.

DdMailAdministrator is correct -- the items *are* in the inbox (deleted flag set to 1 and "Marked Delete = YES") until dbmail_messages.status is set to 3 and dbmail-util finally deletes them.

Your pop3 MUA is also correct. The deleted_flag is sufficient to say "gone" to the post office proto request.

I will try and document this a little for you.

There's a litttle bit of help here in your installation: /dbmailadministrator/DBMA_help.htm#database_cleanup and lots in the readme files.

Why is DdMailAdministrator correct / pop3 MUA also correct?
The items may be marked for deletion but not purged. Status (dbmail_messages.status) for messages flagged for deletion in some cases could be 000, 001, 002, or 003 depending on the DbMail version you are using. At 003 the next dbmail-util will delete the message and all cascading references in the database.

Here's an example of how your item might look:

dbmail_messages:
==============
message_idnr  xx
mailbox_idnr  xx
physmessage_id x
seen_flag      1
answered_flag  0
deleted_flag   1
flagged_flag   0
recent_flag    1
draft_flag     0
unique_id      83dce49...
status         1, 2 or 3

DBMA has a function for Database Cleanup. Select it and press "Go" DBMA sets message status 003 for all mail marked for deletion (i.e.: dbmail_messages.deleted_flag =1). Look for changes in the DBMA MAIN MENU statistics column: "Deletes Pending: "
Run your dbmail-util to clean up the database.

Are you running dbmail-util from the crontab on a regular schedule?

Setting up the maintenance run
The dbmail daemons and the smtp injector itself will never actually delete mail from the database. The only program that will do this is the dbmail-util program. This program will also check the integrity of the dbmail database and, if nescessary, fix it. The dbmail-util program will first delete all messages that are set for final deletion. After that it will set all messages that have the delete status set to status final deletion. This way dbmail always has a backup based upon the interval difference between maintenance jobs.

Run the dbmail-util program in at least a daily interval from cron:

0 3 * * * /usr/local/sbin/dbmail-util -cturpdy -l 24h -qq

best... Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Goodenough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>