This is interesting..

Can someone check my work.  But from RFC2822 addresses (name part) are to
consist of atext which is defined as

atext           =       ALPHA / DIGIT / ; Any character except controls,
                        "!" / "#" /     ;  SP, and specials.
                        "$" / "%" /     ;  Used for atoms
                        "&" / "'" /
                        "~"

so forward and back ticks in addition to all these other characters are
considered "legal" characters.  Not at all what I was expecting.  I
wonder how many applications are compliant to this level?