Curious, are there plans to support SSL/TLS in the pop and imap code at any
point in the near future?

I have used stunnel before; I could probably live with it, though I'd prefer
the protocol be in the code itself.  (I know, I know... write it, but I'm
not a programmer ;-))

Forrest

On 11/27/06, Tom Allison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I'm interested in trying out DBMail.

:)

> The archive of mail I have is tremendous - with 1000's of messages over
> the years, which I would want to import into DBMail.  I can't imagine
> how long that would take, and I would want to preserve the folder
> structure as well as the ability to perform fine-tuned searches based on
> headers and content.

I choose postgresql because I'm familiar with it and it's pretty
bullet-proof.

I migrated 40,000 without incident.
I think it takes something like .25 seconds per email if you are doing an
imap-to-imap migration.
I did the migration in three iterations.
Iteration one took approximately overnight.
Iteration two took perhaps an hour.
Iteration three (turned off email servers and went offline) took 10-20
minutes.

imapsync is one option.  I wrote my own in about an hour.

The real process was to migrate everything in one iteration to a
completely
independent imap server on a different machine.  I then tested that one
for a
week to make sure it would work with my hardware and the database was
tuned.

If you use smtp-source (from postfix) you can test delivery scenarios and
volume/rates to your satisfaction.