Marc Dirix wrote:

The right way is to check at the incoming mailserver, like postfix.
Suppose you also have a spam filter and virus scanner that works between mailserver and dbmail. If you reject at the server level, then you don't have to pass the email to non-existant users to your spam and virus filter, saving some resources on your server.

Also, if you have any type of header checks or rbl checks, then you will also save those resources because mailserver will reject mail to non-existant users before it does the header checks and rbl checks.

If your users database in dbmail_users don't change too often, and you use postfix, then you should also use the postfix's proxy function so it can cache the list of users from your dbmail database and it will reduce the number of mysql calls to check the users existance.