The are various performance tests around the net concerning the
innodb_file_per_table topic but I think they are basically very useless.

There is a wide bunch of factors that can have a strong influence on the
real usage of both situation. Let me draw a couple:

1) preallocating the space gives you (well, may give you) better
distribution across the physical drive... as long as you preallocate the
space when the drive is empty. In this case you'll get less interaction
between the "real" filesystem and the database as basically the DB's data's
is always in the same place.
2) on the contrary having the different .idb files per each table will have
a strong interaction with the rest of the filesystem. If you have a lot of
files coming and going on your drive you'll probably have an high
fragmentation of free space, so the growing .idb will get fragmentized as
well.

In general we could do some benchmarks but I think they will be totally
useless because the ballpark is so much different from situation to
situation. Testing it with nothing else than MySQL running will give you a
very wrong environment, while testing it with "something else" running will
give something that hardly reflects on other people usage.

Maybe we can do DOZENS of benchmark and then try to draw a medium value ;-)

Personally I think it all comes down to easiness of administration, and as
of this _I_ had much better feelings with file_per_table.

Opinions are like balls: everyone's got their own.