I think that we should also add a column that specifies what hashing method(s) the hash value is on the row of the part. This would allow 2 things.

1) Re-Calculation of the hash value for a change in hashing methods could be interrupted and resumed later,

and
2) Message insertion can still occur where as a simple check to see what hashing methods are use in the table, a new part to be inserted (or not) can be checked against all hashing methods used (old and new) to ensure that a duplicate doesn't take place during this migration period.

-Jon