Paul,

> THing is people talk a lot about pros and cons of running dbmail on a
> mysql-replication setup. But I havent heard from anyone doing
> replication on postgresql.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I could use Bucardo for detached MM replication,
which would let me carry around a duplicate server on my laptop.

For scalable installations, Skytools is attractive, but I don't actually
need one of those.  Maybe when I get used to DBMail, I can talk about
implementing it for PostgreSQL.org.  Although mostly what we need for that
is listmanagers, not mailservers.

> Mimepart headers and body are stored as-is in the original message, but
> separately to maintain atomicity of the bodyparts even when used in
> different attachments. Decoding base64 wouldn't add much benefit other
> than somewhat better coverage for text searches in message bodies.
> Marginal at best.

Hmmm.  If you're storing stuff as MIME, you could actually put it in a TEXT
field in PostgreSQL.  Mind you, that just makes replication easier, it
doesn't help otherwise -- both are stored using TOAST regardless.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun