DBMail currently runs on only one database. Thus all email for your 3 domains would be in one database on one server. The number of front-end servers (dbmail-imapd) can be as many as you like - all accessing the MySQL/PostGres db over the network. Now you could run 3 databases, 3 front-ends, each separated out to handle each domain, but you will only be replacing your current IMAP with dbmail.

This leaves you with 2 options besides the all on one server.

Option 1
Put each domain on a different port number and map those port numbers to each of the boxes on your firewall. Clients would then need to be configured to use a hostname and port number, where the hostname on the inside looks up to the IP of the server they need, and the hostname on the outside looks up to your public IP (thus all outside hostnames would have the same IP).

Option 2
Run an imap proxy server that can understand from a small database or by domain name which users are on what imap servers. http://www.imapproxy.org or http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/ would be a good place to start. This will let you use your current IMAP servers as if they were all one from the outside. You could also move to dbmail as one instance per domain, but the imap proxy part is really what you need to run multiple backends merged as one front-end.

-Jon

Stephen Liu wrote:
Hi folks,

Can dbmail help me.?

I'm searching around for a solution to solve my problem as mentioned
hereinbelow;

I have a Xen box (a virtualizaion box) with following setup:-

MTA - Postfix 2.3.8
Database - MySQL 5.0.32
Couier IMAP 4.1.1
etc.

Host - Debian Etch Workstation
Guest01 - mail server for routing running postfix virtual
Guest02 - mail server, hostname01. localIP_01, domain01
Guest03 - mail server, hostname02, localIP_02, domain02
Guest04 - mail server, hostname03, localIP_03, domain03
etc.

all mail servers running postfix on Debian Etch.

single (one) external IP with all ports forwarded to Guest01 except port 53 which is forwarded to the DNS server, also running on a guest
of the Xen box.

Guest01 routes all incoming mails according to their domains to respective mail servers. All outgoing mails are sent via the routing
mail server, Guest01, to Internet.

The system is working nicely on Intranet.  Mail client, Evolution, on
workstations connected to local network, the Intranet, can send/receive

mails on mail servers. Server settings on mail client work on either local IP or on hostname.

My problem is if the workstation is on remote site, not on local
network, with one external IP how can the remote mail client find the mail server which it needs to connect.

Can dbmail help me out?  If YES Please shed me some light how to start?
Where can I find relevant document on its setup to solve my problem.
TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com _______________________________________________