This is not the same.

> 1) flush all pending writes and lock the database as read-only

Postgres does not flush pending writes, and also does not set the
database read-only.

> 2) force a binlog rotation so you know exactly where the snapshot was taken
> 3) make a LV snapshot (takes care of all sync()s at fs level)
> 4) unlock everything (the lock persists while the snapshto is created,
> which lasts about half a second)
>
> Then I go ahead and slowly backup/compress/whatever I want the database
> files from the snapshot volume
>

> When shit hits the fan:
> ===========================
>
> 1) Stop the database
> 2) Unpack the mysql data directory saved from the latest snapshot (since
> the snapshot was made within a read-lock, the database is guaranteed to
> be consistent)

With PITR you can recover to *any* point in time. Not just your snapshot
time. It is completely different. PITR is a query log which starts from
your snapshot onward. So sunday snapshot day (without locking or
read-only) then continueing with query logs up to crash day.

However, I would not even think about using it with dbmail. Because it
slows down your database. For every INSERT and UPDATE query the data has
to be saved twice. Once in the database and once in the log.

Marc