Paul J Stevens wrote:
> How do you 'count' connections? lsof, netstat, ps??

/var/run/dbmail-imapd.state, and I only count ones that are logged into
a user.

    This was done because this did in fact become an actual problem (all
[300] slots used) wherein users could not login and would complain
"email is broken".

> What are the relevant settings in dbmail.conf look like?

NCHILDREN       = 5

MAXCHILDREN     = 300

MINSPARECHILDREN        = 5

MAXSPARECHILDREN        = 10

MAXCONNECTS     = 2

> What version of dbmail are you using?

* OK dbmail imap (protocol version 4r1) server 2.2.13 ready to run

> Have you tried tweaking TIMEOUT in dbmail.conf?

#
# Idle time allowed before a connection is shut off.
#
TIMEOUT         = 300
and yes, this is the value under both [DBMAIL] and [IMAP]