On 02/07/2012 11:31 PM, drsyst...@globalcerts.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at how imapsync works, and I don't think I can use it - the
> systems will be at different physical locations and they run ssh, and the
> database may be too big. But I am not familiar with that tool, so correct
> me if I am wrong.

You are wrong.

If you want to migrate a mysql database in the sizerange of 1-40GB that
is peanuts.

You can simply use mysqldump to do so.

newhost> mysqldump --all --single-transaction -h oldhost | mysql

This will give you a nice snapshot of oldhost's mysql databases on newhost.

If you only want to copy over the dbmail database:

newhost> mysqldump --single-transaction -h oldhost dbmail | mysql dbmail

The configuration of MySQL with regards to innodb_files_per_table is not
relevant.

> I read that there was a migration script when going from 2.1 to 2.2. But
> as I understand then, from 2.2 to 2.3, there is no migration script and
> dbmail-util will map the data into the correct fields, correct?

No!

There is an UPGRADING doc in the 3.0 release that will tell you
everything you need to know. Please read it.

Basically:

apply the schema migration in 2_2-3_0.mysql
run 'dbmail-util -by' to fill the revamped header-cache
run 'dbmail-util -My' repeatedly to migrate the old messageblks storage
to the new mimeparts system. It will migrate 10000 (iirc) old messages
per run.