We are discussing upgrading our current email server hard drives or
outsourcing email to google or some other provider. The question to me is,
can we get 8 x 3TB sata drives and go raid6 and allow up to 5GB of mail
storage for each mailbox? Will this cause the server(db) to puke? Anyone
have experience with this range of server and will postgres struggle with a
DB that size? Any idea what is too big for one box?

Currently the server seems to handle the load OK, but the db can get slow
at times before db upkeep and I attribute this to disk IO but am not sure.
CPU usage is never very much. Any pointers to find my bottleneck when it
does have issues would be appreciated. Would the raid improve the read
performance of the drive enough(or at all) to overcome the increased db
size?

We are currently running:

DBMail version 2.2.16
PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on amd64-portbld-freebsd8.1, compiled by GCC cc (GCC)
4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD], 64-bit
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core
Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) ECC Registered Server
Memory Model KVR1066D3Q8R7S/4G
areca ARC-1110 PCI-X 64bit/133MHz SATA II (3.0Gb/s)
Raid1 with hotspare
No spam filtering, handled by other servers.

We have 2500 mailboxes with ~100GB of mail stored currently.

--
Richard Carroll
richcarr...@gmail.com