Georgi Kobilarov wrote:
> Hello Joachim,
>

>> Are there some ideas out there how foreign-language-only entries could
>> be added to the DBpedia dataset? (and how we could get rid of foreign-
>> language entries which are connected to the English version afterwards
>> and therefore are sameAs the first class (English) DBpedia entries?)
>>

> I agree that there's a demand for URIs for foreign-language-only
> entries. One approach *could* be to create DBpedia namespaces for every
> language, such as http://de.dbpedia.org for German,
> http://fr.dbpedia.org for French etc., and interlink URIs across
> languages with owl:sameAs links. So
> http://de.dbpedia.org/resource/Freie_Universität_Berlin owl:sameas
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Free_University_of_Berlin
>
> But this would mean minting a lot of new URIs, and I'm not completely
> convinced of that approach.
Georgi,
>  But I don't really see another solution for
> the problem of URIs for foreign-language-only entries. We can't add the
> foreign entities to the main dbpedia namespace, because that would mess
> things up completely, and there certainly are a lot of articles with the
> same name but referring to different concepts across languages.
>
> Note that we can represent data extracted from infoboxes from other
> languages by using e.g. Named Graphs, so this is only about those
> entities which are *not* in the English Wikipedia as well.
>

> So I'd like to ask the community:
>
> 1) Do you like the above approach?
> 2) How deeply do you need URIs for non-english concepts (those which
> can't be added to the English Wikipedia)

We have to mint new URIs, and there is nothing wrong with that; as along
as each entity has an "rdf:type" that links into one or more reasonable
taxonomies. The rest of the work is for inference and reasoning
technology to handle.

Language should not narrow the breadth or depth of potential
conceptualization.

Kingsley

> Cheers,
> Georgi