Hello Paul,

Paul Houle schrieb:
> Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
>> predication : in a couple of years, everything will be rdf - but
>> vocabularies will only be understood
>>               in limited geographical areas - gone be the vision of global
>> communication.
>>
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/New_York_City -> dbpprop:latd (xsd:integer)
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Paris -> dbpprop:latLong ->
>> dbpedia:Paris/latLong/coord -> dbpprop:coordProperty (some xsd:integer - not
>> interpretable)
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Berlin -> dbpprop:latD -> (xsd:double)
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Oslo -> dbpprop:latDeg -> (xsd:integer)
>> http://dbpedia.org/page/Babylon -> geo:lat -> (xsd:float)
>>

>     This is just the beginning of problems that you face if you try to
> do serious geospatial reasoning with dbpedia data (or even try to draw
> maps.)

We will try to improve this situation in the future (i.e. the live
version of DBpedia). geo:lat and geo:long coordinates should be
preferred. The "dbpprop" properties are extracted from Wikipedia
infoboxes, which are not mapped to the DBpedia ontology. We will allow
adding such mappings (hopefully) soon.

>     Imagine the meaning of a point coordinate for new york city,  as
> compared to a point coordinate for the statue of liberty.  The statue of
> liberty fills a footprint on the ground which is about 10 m in radius.
> It's reasonable to pretend that it's a point if you're drawing a map of
> NYC.  NYC represents a ground footprint that is more like 10 km in
> radius.  At best,  you can represent it with a centroid or a point
> that's particularly significant (Google maps,  for instance,  locates
> New York City at the 42nd and 7th intersection by the Port Authority Bus
> Terminal;)  the point for NYC is pretty much meaningless if you're
> drawing a map of the city,  but it would be useful if you were drawing a
> map of the Northeastern US.

The OpenStreetMap project [1] faces the same problems and solves them
using "ways" for large objects and "nodes" for small objects. You might
also be interested in our new LinkedGeoData effort [2].

Kind regards,

Jens

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org
[2] http://linkedgeodata.org