Lee,
On 3 Aug 2009, at 22:30, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
Kingsley Idehen wrote:
Ed Summers wrote:
I was just playing around w/ some SPARQL using dbpedia's endpoint and
noticed that:

SELECT *
WHERE {
  ?person rdf:type <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person> .
  ?person rdfs:label ?personName .
  ?person <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/birthplace> ?place .
  ?place rdfs:label ?placeName .
  FILTER (lang(?personName) = "en")
  FILTER (lang(?placeName) = "en")
}

returns some hits but this returns 0:

SELECT COUNT(*)
WHERE {
  ?person rdf:type <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person> .
  ?person rdfs:label ?personName .
  ?person <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/birthplace> ?place .
  ?place rdfs:label ?placeName .
  FILTER (lang(?personName) = "en")
  FILTER (lang(?placeName) = "en")
}

Is there something wrong here either in my query or my expectation
that the count query return > 0 ?

//Ed

Ed,

It's your query, you need optionals in there. Here is a quick mod
that focuses on the typical culprits (rdfs:label values):

SELECT COUNT(*)
WHERE {
  ?person rdf:type <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/Person> .
  optional {?person rdfs:label ?personName} .
  ?person <http://dbpedia.org/ontology/birthplace> ?place .
  optional {?place rdfs:label ?placeName} .
  FILTER (lang(?personName) = "en")
  FILTER (lang(?placeName) = "en")
}

Kingsley, can you explain this further? If Ed's original query (no
optionals) returns results, why would the same query with COUNT(*)
return zero?

Lee

Lee,

I only ran the one that returned zero results, and then added optionals.

Clearly this is a bug :-(

[Hugh] This issues has been fixed and the dbpedia instance updated, such that the count query now returns value > 0 (240327 for your sample query above). Please confirm this works for you now ...

Best Regards
Hugh Williams
Professional Services
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Support: http://support.openlinksw.com
Forums: http://boards.openlinksw.com/support

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------- Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on