On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Marco Fossati <hell.j....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/12 5:46 PM, Pablo Mendes wrote:
>>

>> Perhaps intermediate node mapping?
>>
>> http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/How_to_edit_DBpedia_Mappings#Intermediate_Node_Mapping
>
> No, I don't need to extract multiple values from a single property.
> I'd rather look for something like [1], but I'm not sure I got how it works.
> Citing from [1]:
>
> "The first template infobox on a page defines the type of this page, while
> further infobox templates will be extracted as instances of the
> corresponding types and own URIs."
>
> a) If I understand, it's normal behaviour to build new URIs in case of
> multiple templates in one wiki article. Does that explain those
> double-underscored URIs I mentioned?

Yes.

> b) How can I know a priori which is the first template used by a wiki
> article? In other words, how can I choose the non first-grade templates
> where I should define 'correspondingClass' and 'correspondingProperty'
> values?
>
> Intuitively, when multiple template occur in the same wiki article, I'd
> generate a unique entity (i.e. subject) and assign all the mapped types and
> properties to it, no matter where the templates are in the wiki article.

I think there are different use cases - in other words, different ways
certain templates are normally used.

In short: sometimes we should use the same subject URI for multiple
templates on a page, sometimes we shouldn't. Sometimes
IntermediateNodeMapping is the way to go, sometimes it isn't.

We should collect more data, for example about how the {{Bio}}
template is used on it.wikipedia.org, and then decide how we deal with
this. For example, we could add a parameter to TemplateMapping [1]
that says "use the main subject URI for this template". But I feel I
know much too little about the use cases to make an informed decision.

Let's look at some examples:

http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/extraction/it/extract?title=Alfredo_Binda
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Binda

It's pretty clear that both templates {{Sportivo}} and {{Bio}} are
about the person, and it would make a lot of sense to attach all
extracted properties to the same subject URI. There is some overlap
between the templates, but most info is only in one of them, so we
need to extract both.

http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/extraction/it/extract?title=Diabolik_(fumetto)
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolik_(fumetto)

There are two infoboxes: {{personaggio}} about the fictional
character, {{fumetto e animazione}} about the comic books. In this
case, it wouldn't make sense to attach all properties to one subject
URI. We need two different URIs.

http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/extraction/es/extract?title=Jacques_Chirac
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Chirac

In this case, it would be nice to use the same subject URI for both
templates, but the info from {{Ficha de criminal}} is by far not as
important, so I think it's not a big problem that we use a different
URI.

Cheers,
JC

[1] http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/Template:TemplateMapping