Hey Ning,

This is not exactly a bug. The problem with templates is that are usually
very complicated and we would have to re-implement the MediaWiki engine in
Java in order to parse and expand them correctly
(or come up with another alternative like the use the MW API somehow in the
extraction process).

This requires a lot of changes in the code for a very small added value
(like your case) and is not likely to be implemented soon.
Unless of course someone from the community volunteers to help ;)

Another approach for this specific case would be to gather similar
templates and see if we can add them as parameters of the CategoryExtractor
The first part here is to try and gather all similar templates, and if they
get too many we should focus on the first and more genera approach.

Best,
Dimitris

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Ning Zhang <lemonu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all.
> @Dimitris&Andrea, if it comes to be a bug of the extractor, then could you
> give me a brief estimation of how long it will take to re-extract it?
> I will just keep looking on this discussion and just let me when any
> conclusion is gotten or any further work I can help do.
>
> Best,
> Ning
>

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Dimitris Kontokostas <
> kontokos...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>
>> don't worry :)
>>
>> This is an old issue. In this case Wikipedia applies categories through
>> special templates
>> for instance: {{nationality by occupation|Country=United
>> Kingdom|Nationality=British}}<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Nationality_by_occupation&action=edit>
>>
>> The framework cannot expand the templates and collects only the
>> handwritten categories (none in this case)
>>
>> For testing you can do 2 things:
>> 1) use a trimmed dump and run the dump based extraction as normal
>> 2) use the server module, it should open something like this [1] and then
>> you could try single page extraction  directly via wikipedia [2]. This is
>> how I used to test single pages, however, I am not 100% sure that it is
>> still valid, Jona Christopher (in cc) did a lot of changes last year in
>> this module so maybe he can give some input
>>
>> @JC, Can you confirm this?
>>
>> Best,
>> Dimitris
>>
>> [1] http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/
>> [2] http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/extraction/en/
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Andrea Di Menna <ninn...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I am sorry :)
>>> I meant there exists a link in those pages. (picked the incorrect words
>>> to express myself).
>>>
>>> There could an issue in the SkosCategoriesExtractor.
>>> If I am not wrong, the triple should be collected when analysing the
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_people_by_occupation
>>>  article.
>>>
>>> How can I get a minimal example to run the extractor on and try to debug
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Andrea

>> --
>> Dimitris Kontokostas
>> Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig
>> Research Group: http://aksw.org
>> Homepage:http://aksw.org/DimitrisKontokostas

> Ning Zhang
> Purdue University