On 30 April 2014 20:26, Dario Garcia Gasulla <dar...@lsi.upc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my name is Dario Garcia and within the context of my PhD research in AI
> I'm analyzing how pagelinks evolve in DBpedia. When trying to download
> the oldest versions found a couple of issues. The information given for
> the three oldest versions available of DBpedia is:
>
> DBpedia 3.1
> Triples: 68.5M; Filesize(download): 454.4MB; Filesize(unpacked): 8.9GB
>
> DBpedia 3.0
> Triples: 59.9M; Filesize(download): 394.8MB; Filesize(unpacked): 7.8GB
>
> DBpedia 3.0RC
> Triples: 69M; Filesize(download): 401MB; Filesize(unpacked): 9GB
>
> The first issue is with the oldest DBpedia, 2.0. The link to the
> pagelink file does not work and so I wonder if the file still exists,
> and if so from where can it be downloaded.

Probably here:
http://downloads.dbpedia.org/2.0/
pagelinks.tar 02-Apr-2009 20:32 368M

> The second issue is with the number of triplets. Howcome an older
> version (3.0RC) has more triplets than latter versions (3.0 and 3.1)?
> What changed in the middle?

I don't know.

> One last question, regarding all versions. Are names preserved
> throughout all version? Are there pages which name changes with time so
> that they are called differently in two different DBpedia dumps? I guess
> that may have happened in Wikipedia, and wondered if you were aware of it.

Names of Wikipedia pages sometimes change. When that happens, the IRI
of the corresponding DBpedia resource also changes. That's a bummer.

Since release 3.5 (April 2010), there's a workaround: DBpedia now also
extracts the Wikipedia page ID [1], which does not change when a page
is renamed. RDF triples for the page IDs are published in the
"page_ids" files. To find out which DBpedia resource names have
changed from one version to the next, you could write scripts that
analyze these files: look for lines that have the same page ID in both
files but different URIs. Maybe someone has already done that, I don't
know. Could be done with a few lines in bash.

Regards,
JC

[1] http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Changelog