Dear Bo,

Thank you for your interest!

->However, we find some interesting issues with the table data. We focus mainly
one the Place ontology and its data. For example, in the Place csv file, there
is no instance uri " <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean>
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean";, but under the River csv file (which
is a subclass of Place), there is the instance uri
"http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean";. So it looks very weird. Also, we
checked on the dbpedia page for pacific ocean (
<http://dbpedia.org/page/Pacific_Ocean> http://dbpedia.org/page/Pacific_Ocean),
pacific ocean is actually a type of dbpedia-owl:Place​. So we are not sure why
the Place csv file does not have this instance. Do you have any idea?

You are right, http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean is missing from the
Place.csv. I will investigate the issue, and update the table as soon as
possible. However, http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean is also instance
of the classes River, BodyOfWater  and NaturalPlace, which means that the
corresponding CSV tables for these 3 classes also contain this instance.

-> For some of the subclasses (for example
<http://web.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/DBpediaAsTables/csv/AmusementParkAttraction.csv.gz>

http://web.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/DBpediaAsTables/csv/AmusementParkAttraction.csv.gz
 ), we are unable to download the data, could you also help us to check with
it?

All of the tables that are not available for download are actually empty, i.e.
there are no instances of those classes in DBpedia. You can confirm that for
the class AmusementParkAttraction by running the following query against the
DBpedia SPARQL endpoint: select count (distinct ?s) where {?s a
<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/AmusementParkAttraction> }

-> We also found that the class hierarchy listed by dbpedia ontology (
http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/ontology/classes ) is quite different from
the class hierarchy (
http://web.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/DBpediaAsTables/DBpediaClasses.htm ) for
the table data (at least for the Place ontology), we are not sure why they have
this discrepancy. Do you have any idea?

The representation is different because the
http://mappings.dbpedia.org/server/ontology/classes/ is representing the
current version of the DBpedia Ontology as defined in the Mapping Wiki
(http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/Main_Page), which means that it is
continuously updated (i.e. new classes are added, or the relation between some
of the classes is changed), while the DBpediaAsTables is representing the
classes in hierarchy extracted from the DBpedia 3.9 ontology
(http://downloads.dbpedia.org/3.9/dbpedia_3.9.owl.bz2). You should stick to the
hierarchy used in DBpediaAsTables, because that is the hierarchy that was used
for creating the tables.

Regards,

Petar

We are the STKO research group from the Department of Geography at the
University of California Santa Barbara. Recently, we are doing some research
using the dbpedia data and we found that you provided dbpedia data as tables.
These table data are very good and make our data processing a lot easier.
is no instance uri "http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pacific_Ocean";, but under the
[...]

We would appreciate your effort in helping us with these issues. Thank you very
much for your time.

Best,

Bo Yan​

Bo Yan
MA/PhD Student
Space and Time Knowledge Organization Lab (STKO)
Dept. of Geography
University of California, Santa Barbara
 <mailto:bo...@geog.ucsb.edu> bo...@geog.ucsb.edu