 From: Kingsley Idehen <kide...@openlinksw.com>
To: dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Monday, 7 July 2014 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Ontologies in DBPedia's OpenLink iSPARQL
instance

On 7/6/14 4:41 AM, William Ballantyne wrote:

I have an enquiry for DBPedia administration (admin of the iSPARQL and Virtuoso
instance at http://dbpedia.org/isparql/) following up on advice of the OpenLink
Virtuoso/iSPARQL community.

>I wish to request importation of some generally beneficial ontologies; this
>ontology import functionality being locked down to administrative users on the
>DBPedia iSPARQL instance.
>

>I wish to use iSPARQL's drag and drop functionality to bind nodes and
>connectors to individual properties and classes. The operation depends upon
>populating the list of properties and classes by importing an ontology/schema
>using the 'Schemas' panel on the right hand side of the QBE window.
>

>When trying to import any generally useful (or the most generic) ontology,
>like 'dbpedia.org/ontology' by selecting it from the list and clicking
>'Import', the DBPeia instance at http://dbpedia.org/isparql denies me
>permission to complete the procedure. It produces the following error message:
>

>"Virtuoso 42000 Error SR186: No permission to execute procedure
>DB.DBA.RDF_SPONGE_UP with user ID 106, group ID 106"
>

>The error message goes on to lay out a whole SPARQL query (I have assumed:
>which appears to be trying to return the definitions from whatever schema or
>ontology is selected, to try to implement the import).
>

>The OpenLink explanation for the error is that the ontology import
>functionality is restricted, and the classes and properties can be made to
>populate the Schemas window if I request site admin to import a generally
>useful ontology such as dbpedia.org/ontology
>

>Further, lacking this functionality is a serious bug in the DBPedia instance
>of iSPAQRL, which entirely restricts the creation of meaningful bindings for
>nodes and connections through drag and drop operations, which is one of the
>most attractive features of the iSPARQL QBE interface. It is understandable
>that the Import function is restricted for general use by the public in order
>to avoid opening it up to vulnerabilities, but it would allow the DBPedia
>iSPARQL instance to be used in the intuitive drag and drop mode for which it
>was intended, if administration were to import a few essential ontologies and
>so provide the public with some individual properties to choose from in the
>public view of the scehmas window. It need not be such a serious bug. At the
>moment your DBPedia-hosted iSPARQL queries complete fine if I type out the
>property including the schema/ontology directly onto the node or connector,
>but this fails to demonstrate the visual query
 builder principle.

>I recommend (and request) that administration of the DBPedia iSPARQL instance
>import the following common and generally useful ontologies for general use in
>the visual query editor:
>

>dbpedia.org/ontology
>dbpedia.org/properties
>rdfs.org/sioc
To cut a long story short, we can import the above as standard.

That should happen in the next day or so.

Kingsley

>Any advice on who to contact or related issues is welcome, and I would be
>grateful if admin of the DBPedia iSPARQL and Virtuoso instance at
>http://dbpedia.org/isparql would be willing to respond.
>

>DataBlob
>

>Contact:
>

>William Ballantyne