Hi Paul,

I agree with you, and that's why I said adopting a foundational ontology
would be unwise for DBpedia: it is so heterogeneus, that it would be hard,
if not impossible, to get every single aspect right.  However, a totally
property-infered model, like Samaruga proposed, would not really need an
OWL, DL-based ontology, the RDF/linked data  model is quite suitable to
representing it.

I suppose DBpedia's ontology is aimed at supporting some basic reasoning,
it is not just a documenting tool. To support reasoning, it has to be
sound. So at least some sort of validation is needed to guarantee the
reasoners can do their work.

I'm not refering to nomenclature problems like calling the root of the
biological taxonomy dbo:Species, which a horribly chosen name. You just
rename it to LivingBeing and then it should be OK.

I'm talking about problems like creating a class Person and then
sub-classing it with Roles, which are not sub-classes of Person.  This is
a very common mistake in conceptual modeling, and a lot of people do it
because they have worked their whole life with ER diagrams, and most of
the time that led to relational bases that worked fine. But conceptually,
this leads to a lot of problems, since a Person is a kind, i.e., it has an
identifier that distinguishes every instance from one another. And a
Person who is both a Painter and a Boxer would have two IDs, it would be
two persons simmultaneously (this is not like multiple inheritance, OWL is
not C++). And worst, if a Skater injuries it self and stop being a skater,
it ceases also to be a Person, which is not what the ontology is suposed
to represent. If you simply ignore these problems you will end up with
inconsistent ontologies which will lead to bad inference. You can make a
simple model, but not too much, otherwise it does not represent what it
should.

Some parts od the dbPedia ontology are simple as they should be, and that
works fine, but other parts look like a SKOS tree, where the owl:subClass
gets confused with skos:narrower of some other sort of PART-OF relation.
In other points, such as the case with Document/File and Document/Image
(but no Document/Text),  the modeler forgot the distinction between the
piece of work (a novel, a law) and the media that supports it (a file, a
physical book, a rock). Putting File as a subclass of Document is a big,
big mistake. This things must be corrected to improve the quality of the
ontology and make it more useful.

I'm not saying you should apply very strict definitions, but you have to
apply some definitions, and those should work together. When a ontology is
built with definitions made by several people, you have to make sure they
do not collide, even if they are simple. Sometimes the correction is also
simple: move the Person subtree to a PersonOccupation subtree and
everything will make sense. This would help people work directly with more
DBpedia classes instead of making extensive remapping inside their
applications.

Cheers.
Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
PETROBRAS
Tecnologia da Informação e Comunicações - Arquitetura (TIC/ARQSERV/ARQTIC)
ramal: 706-7507

tel: +55 (21) 2116-7507
dum loquimur, fugetir invida aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula
postero.
-- Horatius