Hi Gaurav and welcome to the DBpedia community,

We also believe there is a lot of information in commons that is waiting to
be extracted :)

In order to improve your application you should first get familiar with the
DBpedia extraction framework. A good start is to read the latest DBpedia
article that describes the whole architecture in detail [1] and experiment
a bit with extraction options [2].

We already have a lot of extractors that can be re-used for category and
basic template extraction. Our focus here is
1) the mappings wiki, to get the information aligned with the DBpedia
ontology [3] and assign types to commons items
2) integrate the mapping statistics for commons [4] and
3) publish licence metadata for every commons item

<Just read Jimmy's answer>
I didn't notice annotations before and this looks very interesting too.
Jimmy is right, the wiktionary extraction code is definitely the only
option to get the annotations but I cannot estimate the effort to adapt the
wiktionary code for non-wiktionary projects. so let's add this option too
as an optional (4) that the student who will work on this idea will try to
experiment depending on the time left.

Best,
Dimitris

[1] http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Publications