Hi Rishi & welcome to DBpedia

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Rishi Dua <rishir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Rishi Dua, final-year undergraduate at Indian Institute of Technology
> Delhi (IIT Delhi), India with a background in big data and machine learning.
>
> The project "DBPedia Live Scaling and User Interface" sounds the most
> relevant to my experience but I'd be open to exploring other relevant and
> challenging projects. During my internships at NICTA (Australia) and Sony
> (Japan), I have worked with data-sets containing billions of Tweets using
> the noSQL database Apache Lucene. After graduating, I'll be joining the Big
> Data team at Sony in October so I have no other commitments for the
> duration of GSOC.
>
> I started the warm-up tasks by improving the documentation. I added about
> 15 pages to the new wiki and edited a couple of already existing ones. Most
> of it was content copied from old wiki (wrote simple scripts to crawl old
> wiki and parse html to markdown) with minor additions at some places.

Thanks for your effort but note that we don't want a copy of the website to
the wiki, only improve the dev-related pages. What you could do is follow
the existing instructions and play a bit with the software. Then fill some
gaps that are not documented. At the moment the github wiki is more
up-to-date than the website and in the website we want only very high level
stuff and links to github for details. Again, thanks for putting effort in
this but would you mind deleting all non-dev pages from github?

> An older thread for this topic suggested setting up DBpedia Live. I have
> set up MediaWiki on my local system with the required extensions. Since the
> Wikipedia dump is ~10GB it'll take another day or two for me to have the
> local MediaWiki running. Additionally I'm writing a tutorial and scripts to
> automate the process that I'll upload by Wednesday.

That would be a great warm-up task. Note that I can give you dev access to
the update stream for starting / testing Live. In that case you will not
need a local mw clone but it would be nice to know how to set this up

> While I continue working on the 2 things, it'd be great if you could
> suggest issues or other things I could take up.

We have a gsoc student working on this:
https://github.com/dbpedia/extraction-framework/pull/358
It would be nice to additionally create a unit test to validate the json
parsing, join the thread to discuss the options on splitting it

> Also, is the old wiki down for maintenance?

yes, server upgrade

Cheers,
Dimtiris

> Thanks,