Steve Martin recently e-mailed me this:

There is a partial board tape of the Dead at UC. Davis 1/21/71. I've been
out
of circulation for many years, raising my kids. Anyway, recently got back
into
transfering reels, DAt & PCM onto CD-R. I've found your web page useful for
sorting out some of these old tapes. I was surprised not to see UC. Davis
not
on your list. Thare is a copy in the archive of a partial show. That is the
first tape I ever listened to in the archive as it was my first Dead show,
and
naturally I was very interested on how it sound on tape. Dick Latvala used
keep a book in the archive with entries for all the shows & a Blank area for
entirs for set lists. There was a little desk with a 1/2 track reel deck and
head phones. When we were there I would sit and listen to the tapes and
write
down the set lists. That UC. Davis show among others is in my hand writng in
that book, if it still exists. It's kind of funny, but I was probobly the
first
person to ever listen to that tape. UC Davis 1/21/71 two 7" ,1/2 track
reels:
China Cat-> Rider, Uncle John's Band, Mama Tried, Around & Around,
Cumberland,
Casey Jones, Cryptical/cut. The order was uncertain. As was always Dick's
policy, we took the reels out of the boxes they had originally been stored
in
and placed them on the shelves in the same order. Always, we would take them
off the shelf, and put them back in the same order. I can remember that one
of
the reels seemed to have some fragment of live Dead that had apparently been
taped over. Makes one wonder if some shows not in the archive weren't taped
over.
At the show at UC, Davis the sound was so loud, and hit such a pitch that it
shatterd some of the windows up high in the hall. We at the time thought
that
was very cool. We almost smuggled in a 16mm. motion pcture camera, but
chickened out at the last minute. A friend took some very good black and
white
phots. Wish I could track him down. The only song that I can honestly
remember
from the show was Casey Jones. The reason being, we were at the edge of the
stage, and could see Garcia at the back side stage before Casey Jones. He
had
what appeared to be a tournicate around his arm, hold it with his teeth.
When
he rushed out onto the stage he yanked the tournicate off and ripped into
Casey
Jones. Wo, "Drivin' that Train" ...Quite exciting for us country boys.
I do have more information about other shows and tapes if anyone is
intereted.
Also some queries.
Steve
Greenfield,CA.