As a peculiar footnote to this entry, I actually know two people who grew up in the East Bay who actually went to this show (see notation below).  No, they don't remember what the Dead played, but, incredibly they have photographs of the concert.  Of course, they ran out of film before the Dead came on stage.  But they do have grainy black and white photographs of Country Joe and The Fish and (I'm pretty sure) Johny Talbot and De Thangs.

I had an email conversation about this with Bill Gallagher some years ago (hi Bill).

Corry

BAND Grateful DeadVENUE school yard of the little private schoolCITY CanyonSTATE CADATE ??/??/67SET1 SET2SET3ENCORECOMMENTS Bill Gallagher:In the book "Berkeley At War" by WJ Rorabaugh (1989), p. 145 it says "In 1967 Canyon's hippies held a benefit concert to raise money to rebuild their general store. Country Joe McDonald, the Grateful Dead and others came to play. The narrow, winding road into Canyon was clogged with flower-painted VW vans."Canyon is a small community over the hill from Berkeley towards Moraga and Walnut Creek.Bill Gallagher contacted Country Joe and he said:"The benefit was held in Canyon, I believe, in the school yard of the little private school. I have a couple of posters of the event. cheers, cjm"