some additions...

I-)  ihor

> ------------------------------
>
> From: "LITFIN, DAVID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:14:34 -0600
> Subject: GD 12/31/70 after show
>
> Hi - I just recently received the show segment listed below and I'm
> wondering if anybody can comment on its validity and/or the correct date.
> I've seen it circulate as 12/31/70 after show.

> The Grateful Dead
> 12-31-70
> Winterland Arena - San Francisco, Ca.
> Aftershow Jam & Promos
>
> Source: sbd>?reel?>dat>cd
> Conversion: Kenwood TrueX>EAC(range/high/secure)>CDWav(split)>shn V3
>
> DISC 1
> 1.  //Johnny B Goode                                (02:25)
> 2.  Around & Around                                 (05:06)
> 3.  ?Rock Me Baby?                                  (10:37)
> 4.  Not Fade Away                                   (16:31)
> 5.  I Know You Rider                                (06:07)

> 6.  "Showbill Chant"                                (01:21)

this is an ad (for the radio?) for the june 7, 8, and 9, 1968 shows at the
carousel.  it features a woman (in left channel), who is singing in hebrew,
and a man (in right channel), who is singing to the same melody, but in
english and about the upcoming shows at carousel:  "this weekend, the
carousel presents the jefferson airplane, grateful dead, fleetwood mac,
light show by the gardens of delight.  two fifty friday and saturday, two
dollars sunday.  a silver dollar any time.  gourmet food at annie's
restaurant." and ends with the man saying  "we should do the same thing,
that was better."  recorded in stereo.

> 7.  "The Carousel - Letter To Mother"               (01:01)

this is an ad (for the radio?) for the june 7, 8, and 9, 1968 shows at the
carousel.  a daughter is 'writing' a letter to her mother:  "dear mother, i
think i lost it at the carousel.  last week, jamie took me to the dance,
and i haven't been the same since.  the carousel must be magic, because
i've really been transformed.  this weekend, i'm going all three nights, to
hear the jefferson airplane, the grateful dead, and a new english group
called fleetwood mac.  i'm not doing this just to make you and daddy
suffer, but jamie says suffering is your thing.  so what can i say?  it's
only two fifty on friday and saturday, and only two dollars on sunday, or
one silver dollar any time.  and don't worry about me eating.  the food at
the carousel is fantastic.  please understand, mother.  i've got to go,
even it means risking my sanity.  but really, with the airplane, the dead,
groovy old mac, and the garden of delights doing the light show, what could
be bad?"

> 8.  "We're Sorry We're Not Playing Portchester Jam" (01:39)

from around december, 1970, as the apology is about some shows that were
missed, but will be played in february (1971).  unfortunately, the version
here is in mono :-(.  the version i have heard on tape is in stereo and it
is fantastic!  this mono version looses a lot of that studio stereo messing
around magic...

9.  "Jelly Roll Promo"                              (00:55)

an "aoxomoxoa" album radio ad (in stereo), from mid-1969, with "dupree's
diamond blues' as the background music.  at one point, the annoucer
mentions the album title:  "you know, if i were able to pronounce it, i'd
tell you the title of the lp, but instead..."

10. "Rate The Record"                               (00:54)

an "aoxomoxoa" album radio ad (in stereo), from mid-1969, with "what's
become of the baby?" as the background music.  the announcer asks a
'sixteen year old' girl to rate 'wbotb'.

11. "Doin' That Rag Promo"                          (00:52)

an "aoxomoxoa" album radio ad (in stereo), from mid-1969, with "doin' that
rag" as the background music.  again, the album title is mentioned:
"...that we cannot tell you its title of over these airwaves, so...".

> Total: 47:28
>
> By the sound of the audience, this was played at a large venue.
>
> The players I can make out are:
> Bob Weir
> Jorma Kaukonen
> Jack Casady
> Will Scarlett ??
>
> Rock Me Baby is Jorma vocals and lead.
> IKYR is the Jorma/Jack arrangement - Jorma vocals

'johnny b. goode' and 'not fade away' have bob weir on vocals.

> Thanks in advance for any info.
>
> Dave Litfin

I-)  ihor