for what it's worth about  "box back(ed)":

1. when boys wore "dresses" and frock suits, one of the styles was a "box
back sailor collar".  (the contrasting style was the "v-neck sailor collar")

2. i heard this reference while watching a Ken Burns's "Jazz" series, which
i then found on the website:

...Louis Armstrong had never been so far from home before. And when he
stepped down at Chicago's 12th Street Station and bandleader Joe "King"
Oliver, Armstrong's friend and mentor, was not there to meet him, he asked
himself if he had made a mistake leaving New Orleans: "I saw a million
people, but not Mister Joe, and I didn't give a damn who else was there. I
never seen a city that big. All those tall buildings, I thought they were
universities. I said, no, this is the wrong city. I was just fixing to go
back home - standing there in my box-back suit, padded shoulders,
wide-legged pants - when a redcap Joe left word with came up to me."

though i've yet find out exactly what this type of suit looks like.

kevin