Invariably, when a tree announcement goes up, the request for SHN's start
pouring in, so that folks can get a copy that is (verifiably) identical to
the original CD master, without any of the risks of click/pops/digi-static
inherent in digital audio extraction.  In some cases, the person who has
volunteered to be tree admin has anticipated this and has already made
preparations to create and tree SHNs.  In other cases, the tree admin is
not SHN-knowlegeable, and has to ask around for somebody else to make the SHNs.

The impression I get is that the CD masters are generally being made on
"standalone" equipment, i.e., directly DAT>CD as opposed to
DAT>computer>CD.  This is just fine, but it does mean that SHNs are not
possible before the first audio CD generation.

The key would be to get those CD masters in the hands of someone with the
software, hardware, and knowlege (i.e., a PC with shntool, shorten or
mkwACT, and a properly configured copy of EAC) to create the SHN set for
the tree.  What I think is happening in many cases is that the CD masters
are going through at least one more generation (often on standalone CD
copiers) before they reach the tree admin.  If the tree admin has someone
else making the SHNs, that means a minimum of two CD copy generations
before the SHNs are made.  Unfortunately, even high-end CD copiers (e.g.,
Tascam) can sometimes introduce unnecessary digi-flaws that wind up in the
distribution.

Greg Hurwitt

--
Greg