This reflects the new version that includes the ending to Hurts Me Too and the fragment of Cryptical before the batteries gave out.

In Cryptical, it sounds like "but it was cold and faded" and they don't say "you know he has to die". I never noticed that before. Is that the way it was originally sung, or is this one just different?

BAND Grateful Dead
VENUE Haight Street
CITY San Francisco
STATE CA
DATE 03/03/68
SET1 [1:26] ; Viola Lee Blues [21:02] ; [1:00] ; Smokestack Lightnin' [12:04] ; [1:54] % Turn On Your Lovelight [#14:12] ; [0:49] % It Hurts Me Too [#5:05] ; [0:14] % Cryptical Envelopment [#1:15#] (1) > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment ; (2) Dancing In The Street
SET2
SET3
ENCORE
COMMENTS (1) The master tape is incomplete, as the tapers' batteries ran out. (2) DeadBase XI reports that the taper remembers that the closer was Dancing In The Streets. It is possible that additional songs were played between the second Cryptical and Dancin'. Most copies in circulation end with It Hurts Me too getting cut off. A new circulating copy of 3/3/68 on CDR that is Steve Brown's Uher MAR>DAT>WAV>CDR, has the complete version of It Hurts Me Too, and the beginning of the first Cryptical Envelopment before the batteries finally do die. It Hurts Me Too & Cryptical Envelopment were speed-corrected via DAL Card Delux. In Cryptical, it sounds like "but it was cold and faded" and they don't say "you know he has to die". Cryptical cuts off at "it doesn't seem..."

Larry, an eyewitness writes: "i remember getting off the bus on haight street That spring day, pushing my way through the crowds to see what all the excitement was about (i didn't know- did anyone? -that the dead were parking a flat bed truck across haight street to play a free gig!) ...completely by accident, i got there (well, within a few hundred feet) just as they fired up the music... the bus came by and i was splattered like a bug on the windshield!!! ...the version of "dancing in the streets" (which, unfortunately, isn't on the tape) was not the "disco" version they came up with later, but a much stronger r&b/rocking tune... I never forgot that set.... and, though mickey had been with the band for a while, it was news to me, since this was my first time seeing them (only one drummer on that first, imo, great album!"
RECORDING 60 A? Only Viola Lee Blues thru the first Cryptical were recorded.