Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:53:52 -0500
From: jeff tiedrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Altered levels on digital files

At 3:52 PM -0500 12/15/02, Dave Sorochty wrote:
>There is also the version of 5/8/77 with really nice aud patches
>spliced in those two spots.  I think a few people have been fooled
>into thinking that it was all an uncut sbd.
>
>There is also the complete aud version of Cornell from the same
>source that was used to do the patches in the SBD copy.
>
>I think that the sbd copies with "altered levels" are all the same
>source.  Some might trace back to the WBOTBB version that Jeff put
>out a few years back - that had a differnent PCM decode applied to
>it right? That version sounds different - very thumpy bass on it.
>
>I have had it on DAT prior to those tape trees and my original dat
>has higher levels for the treble side of things (no PCM decode?).
>
>Of course cassettes from years ago are out there too and its likely
>that many copies have been equalized in a bunch of ways.
>
>Dave S.

The "WBOTB" flavor of 5/8/77 is alleged to have had an improper DBX
decode, which is supposedly why it has boomy bass and thin top end.
The DAT-to-cassette transfers that I did for the massive tree of many
years ago were equalized to make up for this. The DAT-to-DAT
transfers, however, were straight digital clones and so all sonic
inadequacies were passed on down the line.

Rob Eaton later did a re-transfer of the Betty reel to DAT, using a
different DBX decode with some EQing in the digital domain thrown in
for good measure. Is it this transfer that is the source for the
patched-with-aud flavor of this show.

I have never heard the fake 'alternate soundboard' that purports to
be of this show, but it has been explained to me that someone lifted
a complete Lazy Lightning > Supplication from another '77 show and
dropped it into the middle of 5/8/77.
I have a cassette version of this show that I got in the late 70s from a very well-connected friend (if I haven't gotten rid of it along with most of my cassettes). It is a definite SBD source, and has Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication complete with no splice, and I don't remember any problem with Minglewood either. The sound was just fine (no "altered levels"), and from the date I rec'd it, I'd say there were no DAT or PCM conversions done on it. So, another SBD source (unspliced) other than the one with the splice <does> exist.

For what it's worth,
Richard

---