I just lifted this from key-z.com.  So I think this is a good sign that we will see this in theatres first, then with a followup DVD release.

SUNSHINE DAYDREAM...is coming

Yes, it is true, the most asked for Grateful Dead movie is finally going to be released (I think).  I have just been on the phone with Sam Fields (the owner) and have received an update.  He has finished re-editing using a clean transfer from the original footage.  I have seen some of it and the color and clarity is amazing.  Now he is waiting for the Dead’s approval to make it into a DVD with out-takes and extra footage.     But...WAIT, it seems that he hopes to take it to a theater near you first.  That’s right, it will hit the road and appear at “happenings” at your local big screen....WOW, maybe even bring the Pranksters and Bus! Although this will delay the long awaited DVD release of the flick, I think it is worth it to get a chance to see it with a crowd of fans, dancing in the isles. So...keeps your eyes open and cross your fingers...Sunshine Daydream is coming (and, of course....I will keep you posted).

~Tim
db.etree.org/timburke