At 8:52 AM -0400 7/17/03, Richard Pipes wrote:
I can confirm this (it was the 78 show, not 76). In fact, a <bunch> of people came out, banging anything handy--pots, pans, briefcases, drum cases, anything that would make noise. Some were roadies, some were friends; some I recognized and some I didn't. I often wondered who all these folks were--maybe some of the Pranksters? Altogether about 10-15 people, I'd say. This went on for a few minutes, but not too long. I don't have a copy of it, but I think a video of this show circulates which may shed some more light on all of this. My cds show alot of percussion during "Drums", but don't really give a good idea of what was going on.

(Hi, Richard!)

That was one weird-ass trend through much of 1978: anyone who felt like it was up there banging on stuff during the Rhythm Devils jam.

There's a Winterland show from October in which, during Rhythm Devils, you can hear someone ask Jerry for a banjo lesson (I think -- it's been a while since I listened to it). Jerry politely declines.

--

David Gans - [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730