Below is some traffic from the Cipollina list. 5.30.67 is listed on
Deadlists as a Dead performance, but do we know they actually performed?
According to the tape only three of the listed bands actually played.

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 21:12:53 -0000
   From: "gravelmouth60" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HALO Benefit, Winterland, SF. May 30th 1967?

Hi Folks,
Before I get down to business let me start by thanking Tom
for unearthing the Little Onion #3 discs. I haven't got my hands on
copies yet but they are eagerly awaited. Much appreciated Tom! That
said, let's cut to the chase!

I've spent today copying some tapes for my friend Patrick in
Sweden (aka "The Lama") who then very kindly transfers them onto CD
for me. One of the tapes includes material from the sets Quicksilver
played at the HALO Benefit held at the Winterland on May 30th 1967.
It's an easy enough show to authenticate as it's introduced by Tom
Donahue who explains exactly what the proceedings are. I hadn't
listened to it for years and had forgotten just what a great show it
is. What makes it particularly interesting is that it contains
radically different versions of "Mona" and "If You Live" and the
arrangements on other songs aren't quite as nailed down as on later
live recordings. I've always been surprised that this show doesn't
seem to get mentioned much or indeed appear on many people's lists.
While the copy I have is enjoyable enough it's certainly not the
greatest quality and if anyone has a copy close to the source it
would be a fantastic show to circulate amongst the group. The track
listing is:

Short Instrumental / Introduction by Tom Donahue

1st Set.
Pride Of Man
Walkin' Blues
Dino's Song
Mona
If You Live
Runaway
Who Do You Love?

2nd Set.
Smokestack Lightning
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You
Back Door Man
Too Long
The Fool.

I gather that the show was Broadcast on the radio and Tom Donahue
mentions in his introduction that there will be six sets by the three
bands playing that night. The poster for the event lists the other
bands as the Airplane, Big Brother, The Charlatans and the Dead. If
Tom was right then two of these didn't actually play. Does anyone
know who did perform and whether recordings of these other sets are
also in circulation?

The 90 minute tape I have is filled up with three tracks that
are supposed to come from The Winterland on October 5th 1967 and
these are "Codine", "Pride of Man", and "Gold and Silver". These are
then followed by an uncredited instrumental version of "Light Your
Windows" that features flute and sax. This would appear to be from a
different source as it sounds like an audience recording from an
outdoor show. I would say that this track is almost certainly from
the "Dr Sundays" show, though I may be wrong. The tape then ends with
another version of "Runaway" that is a quite tinny / trebly recording
and is obviously from yet another source. If anyone else has this
tape in their collection and can shed some light on where this filler
material actually originates from, any information would be very
gratefully.

All the best

Mark

Message: 9