-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave S
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 3:44 PM
To: DeadLists
Subject: request for Cicadas 2004 summer tour recording

I was wondering if someone on this list with recording gear could go out
and make a recording of the 17 year Cicadas?

The sound they make is really weird and I wanted to have a good
recording of it.  Why?  I have no idea really...

I have been hearing it around my home this past week really loud and I
just realized that's the sound they us in sci-fi movies a lot whenever
there's an flying saucer or an alien present.  Has anyone else noticed that?

I was hoping for a recording that's free of city noises or any talking
and about an hour long.  Not sure what I'd do with it, but it seems like
a cool thing to have.

I wanted a high quality nature recording like those recordings of whale
songs.  I wonder if the cicadas have "songs" that repeat or if its just
a constant signal?  What would it sound like if you slowed down the
playback?

They are all over the ground in my parking lot.  Would it be possible to
grab a couple and put them in an aquarium or something like that and
record the sounds from one that is isolated from the continual drone?

Dave S.