Hi!

Checking out some things and came across your site.

I was at the first Electric Factory concert on 26 April 1968 (ya know, for
years I though it was Fall of '67, but after reading Phil's new book, I
realized it was Spring of '68!)

This concert changed my life.  We went expecting to hear Morning Dew, Viola
Lee Blues, etc., off the first album.  What did we get?

Anthem of the Sun!!!!  I was completely blown away!

An interesting note - the band I played in back in the '60's and '70's (we
called ourselves "St. Elmo's Fire" first, then changed our name to "Woolly
Bear" when we released an album in 1972) ended up buying part of the
Electric Factory's PA system when the Factory went belly-up.  We're pretty
sure it was the same PA the Dead had used (of course, it didn't help us
sound any better!!! HA!).

Note that I'm a nutty entomologist (I study insects) and I'm the guy that
named a species of midge (a group of tiny flies that I specialize in) after
the Grateful Dead - Dicrotendipes thanatogratus -  (thanato = dead, gratus =
grateful).  For a picture of this fly, check out my web site (URL below).  I
think this may have been the first insect named after a rock group (although
some other nut had previously named something for Mick Jagger).

Thanks for having those concert dates on your web site!

Have fun,

John
--
John H. Epler, Ph.D.