Thanks to a tip from Russ Lipetzky, I've discovered that the song we know as "He Was A Friend Of Mine" is in fact "Just A Hand To Hold" by Mark Spoelstra. Spoelstra recorded it on his 1965 LP "5 & 20 Questions" and it was covered in the same year by Kathy and Carol (Kathy Larisch and Carol McComb). I've got a copy of the latter - lyrics below. The Grateful Dead sang just the first few verses. Mark Spoelstra used to perform with Bob Dylan, Dave Van Ronk et al in New York in the early 1960s, which may explain the loose connection with the song "He Was A Friend Of Mine" that they performed.

Alex Allan

Just A Hand To Hold
Mark Spoelstra

He was, he was a friend of mine
He was, he was a friend of mine
Now he's dead and gone

This morning, my best friend
Lay still on his bed
His face like a jewel
And he was dead

He was, he was only six years old
He was, he was only six years old
So I've been told

He like to play games
Mark, push me on the swing
Mark, push me on the merry-go-round
Go round and round

Swing me, oh swing me, swing me all up and down
Spin me, oh spin me, spin me around and round
Till my feet touch the ground

He never was afraid
For he was was brave and bold
And the only thing he ever asked for
Was a hand to hold

It makes no difference where he's from or where's he's bound
And it makes no difference if he's lost or been found
He's dead and gone

But there is no power
Anywhere in this land
Like the voice used to say
Will you hold my hand

There is a voice that rings loud throughout this land
There is a voice that speaks for the black and tan
And for all of man

It's young and it's old
It's brave and it's bold
It can't be bought or sold