Your site is a great resource a d much appreciated. I would love to help in any
way that I can.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: kevin
  To: 'Todd Sanders' ; 'Charlie Miller' ; 'Harry Angus' ;
deadlists@nemesis.CS.Berkeley.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 6:18 PM
  Subject: RE: updating Deadlists from the discussion

  DeadLists is a community project - therefore it is only as good as its
contributors' interest in the community.

  For about a year now, I have taken ownership of making updates validated or
posted by caretakers.  Prior to that there was self-service update tool that
was intended to make the site as hands-off as possible.  On the one hand, it
followed in the spirit of the community, but on the other hand no one is
keeping after the folks who agreed to use it - and reality is that no one
should do that.  So, I shut the tool off with the expectation that when the
caretaker wanted to make a correction, they would have to ask me.  That way I
could track the emails to the list and see if they were being followed up on.
Throughout this time, I've made all updates requested by caretakers and
occasionally stepped in when time allowed to make them without waiting.

  All of this is intended to back up the point that caretakers are not the only
group responsible for the update process.  As a participant with ongoing
interest in this community, it should be expected that if you submit something,
it is your responsibility to follow-up on it.  Sending an email is not enough.

  To contribute to the DeadLists:

  1.       Read the data spec or reference the format of how each date is
listed, including notations.

  2.       If you see something that has not been updated, send an email to the
list and the caretaker to inquire

  3.       If you've submitted something not updated, send a follow-up email to
the list and the caretaker to inquire.

  4.       If you want to submit something, use the format to submit to the
list and caretaker.  This may include something you've seen submitted by
someone else, but would like to see updated - just resubmit it yourself.

  Repeated inquiries catch my attention and that's where I will step in to make
whatever changes are necessary.

  There is no role here to police the content or process.  The site is and
should be a reflection of the efforts of the community, not any one individual
- if there is no interest except mine and a couple others, the site has no
purpose.

  Thanks for your support