That is a long message!

My old copy was dated 12/10/68, which struck me as being too
late. Perhaps people felt a December date was more fitting since TC
had joined the band by then; nonetheless I think a November rehearsal
makes more sense, given what we're hearing. (If anything, I think this
is earlier than November, but can't prove it.)

TC has said that he could join the Dead for brief periods on leaves or
3-day passes. (He would not have needed to go AWOL.) I don't know how
generous the Air Force was with those, though, so it's unknown how
frequently TC could have visited before his discharge, which was on
11/22/68. This session could be the one time all fall that TC was able
to rehearse with them.

As for using a studio to record the rehearsal, I suspect a couple
factors were involved. One, the band at that point just didn't care
how much time they spent in the studio - the number of months they
spent recording & re-recording the small batch of Aoxomoxoa songs,
heedless of debt, indicates that.  Also, they may have wanted the
session recorded so TC could play it back, to help with learning the
material. You can hear someone ask the engineer after Lovelight if
they're recording.   (And, as you suggest, they may have hoped
something useful for the album might be recorded at the session - it
doesn't sound that way to me, though.)  We know, for instance, that
on 9/21/68 they used the studio to record a jam session with a couple
other guitarists (likely Vic Briggs & David Crosby), so they were by
no means concerned about the cost of studio time.  So Pacific
Recording remains the most likely place.

The mix changes from time to time, so I doubt the session was meant to
test the mixing. I think the engineer would have taken more care if
that were the case. The mix is sometimes quite poor.

I guess it's a Vox Constanten is playing here? (When he joined the
band, for a brief time the band had two organs - Pigpen on a B-3 and
TC on the Vox Continental - but the Hammond was repossessed shortly
thereafter.)

Deadbase does list a number of Pacific Recording sessions for
Aoxomoxoa, from Sep '68 through March '69, but I believe these are
incomplete. There must have been more sessions that aren't
listed. They do illustrate the Dead's leisurely pace in the studio,
though - note that all of the Sept & Oct sessions are spent simply
doing four songs (two of which are then dropped)!

According to McNally, the 16-track didn't arrive in the studio until
around Christmas '68.  I think that's far too late for this rehearsal
to plausibly be a 16-track recording.  (Lesh in his book just says it
came in during their midwest tour, but he isn't being precise, and
makes several wrong statements about re-recording Aoxomoxoa.) So I
strongly disagree with this session being taped on 16-track.

And for this tape to be from January '69 is flatly impossible. Just a
brief comparison of the Dark Star & St Stephen here with versions from
the Avalon (1/25 or 1/26/69) will make that clear. The playing was
simply far more advanced in January - Stephen, for instance, has a
more extended intro and an added jam in the middle by the Avalon
shows.