On 12/01/2016 03:56 PM, Jean-Paul Pelteret wrote:
This leads me to wonder whether would it be useful (or even possible) to
promote the developer version of the documentation in search engine results in
preference to the older versions?

I think that's a valid question. The way I would probably do that is to de-emphasize the items that are in the older versions. For example, we could just prohibit robots from indexing the old directories. They're still available for those who go through the website, for example.

Prohibiting indexing requires that we change all html files of older versions (using one of the meta tags at the top of an HTML file), or placing a robots.txt file into these directories. That requires access to the web server, though.

Best
 W.