An old version of step-12[1] has an implementation that doesn't use
MeshWorker.
In my opinion, it is covenient to use MeshWorker if you can when you want
to consider discontinuous ansatz spaces due to the
different cases that can occur for face contributions. If you want or need
to use more than one DoFHandler, this more or less the only case when you
can't use MeshWorker directly. You might however, be able to combine
different equations in a single DoFHandler.
What exactly is it that you want to do?

Best,
Daniel

[1] https://www.dealii.org/7.1.0/doxygen/deal.II/step_12.html