Joel,

I did try it, but I cant just change the local_velocity_values from a
> std::vector<Tensor<1,dim>> to std::vector<double>. Then the
> fe_values[velocities].get_function_values function doesnt compile.

That's true, but you should use std::vector<Vector<double> > and not
std::vector<double>, see also [1].

> (correct me if wrong) This method of using norm_sqr() would only produce
> the size, not the individual x,y and z components. I need the x,y and
> z components separately so I can get the size but also the difference
> between two solutions and that error of these two solutions. Hence my
> How would I do this?

Yes, but since you get all the values at the local dofs, you can play
around with them as you like and store the result in velocity. If this is
not sufficient, you can also make velocity a std::vector and use something
like
velocity[component][local_dof_indices[i]] =
local_velocity_values[i][component]

Best,
Daniel

[1]