Hamed,

> If I solve a problem with one million DOFs on a cluster of 64 processors,
> every processor will be dealing with around 15000 DOFs.
> So you mean even in that case direct solver would be slow? I thought direct
> solver would solve the problem only on those DOFs that it owns.
But you are not solving 64 independent problems. Solving one problem
with one million unknowns divided among 64 processors is more work
than solving 64 problems which have a total of one million unknowns.
Let say for simplification that the amount of work for the LU
decomposition is the square of the number of unknowns (it is actually
bigger than that). Solving a system of 100 unknowns will require 10000
operations while solving 10 systems of 10 unknowns will require only
1000 operations.

Best,

Bruno