I found these definitions within symmetric_tensor.h. How can I access them?
They seem to allow output for my case.

/**
 * Output operator for symmetric tensors of rank 2. Print the elements
 * consecutively, with a space in between, two spaces between rank 1
 * subtensors, three between rank 2 and so on. No special amends are made to
 * represents the symmetry in the output, for example by outputting only the
 * unique entries.
 *
 * @relates SymmetricTensor
 */
template <int dim, typename Number>
inline
std::ostream &operator << (std::ostream &out,
                           const SymmetricTensor<2,dim,Number> &t)
{
  //make out lives a bit simpler by outputing
  //the tensor through the operator for the
  //general Tensor class
  Tensor<2,dim,Number> tt;

  for (unsigned int i=0; i<dim; ++i)
    for (unsigned int j=0; j<dim; ++j)
      tt[i][j] = t[i][j];

  return out << tt;
}

/**
 * Output operator for symmetric tensors of rank 4. Print the elements
 * consecutively, with a space in between, two spaces between rank 1
 * subtensors, three between rank 2 and so on. No special amends are made to
 * represents the symmetry in the output, for example by outputting only the
 * unique entries.
 *
 * @relates SymmetricTensor
 */
template <int dim, typename Number>
inline
std::ostream &operator << (std::ostream &out,
                           const SymmetricTensor<4,dim,Number> &t)
{
  //make out lives a bit simpler by outputing
  //the tensor through the operator for the
  //general Tensor class
  Tensor<4,dim,Number> tt;

  for (unsigned int i=0; i<dim; ++i)
    for (unsigned int j=0; j<dim; ++j)